Sunday, April 22, 2007

I sew too!

Well, I didn't quite keep up last week. A variety of things kept me busy and away from the computer, mostly friends, which is always a good thing. Plus I had pictures to show and didn't have a chance to dig out the camera cable. Still no official word from the interview. It's a non-standard situation so it might take a few more months for the wheels to make they're way to a final decision, so for now we are here.

Last weekend I had major crafty time. First, I will update you on the LL Vera that was giving me so much trouble. I decided to make a Convertible, to me this is a much more useful version of a shawl. One that won't slip off! I'm not coordinated or sophisticated enough for a regular one. But, I have no idea what gauge yarn that is and I really wanted to use my sock yarn, since I had more then I needed for one pair of socks and I already have three no make that four other pairs of socks on the needles. So I just decided to do some math with my own gauge, pick a lace pattern from my book and go for it. Well, that plan went mostly ok. One false start with the tracery pattern that I couldn't master:That big hole between my fingers shouldn't be there...and every row was just wrong! So I ripped back and went with the little arrowhead lace. Much easier to master and memorize so this went from a total concentration project to one I could do in front of the TV:
So, it grows, my goal is to have it done before the end of the month, but I'm not sure I'm that fast.

The bigger craftiness however, was my new bag. I started this pattern a while ago and just never got all the way through. It's the original ScrapBags pattern. And I love it.


A couple of notes on the pattern and my fabric choices. I used 45" home dec fabric from jo-ann's, so it's a little thicker than the quilt scraps the pattern is designed for. I'm tough on my totes so I wanted it to be more durable. BUT, the extra bulk was too thick for the machine, (three needles later) so I ended up with small holes in all the bottom corners that I had to stitch by hand. If I were to do it again, I would either eliminate the batting in the gussets, pockets and/or bottom, or use a lighter weight lining fabric to eliminate some of the bulk. I have one of the bottoms that the pattern calls for, but I haven't installed it, I like the slouchier look! The bag holds everything and fits very well over my shoulder so I consider it a success! What do you think?

Ok, I've stayed out of the sun enough for this beautiful day. I'm headed back out to the garden!

2 comments:

Madeleine said...

Love the bag!!!

Unknown said...

Nice bag :)

Is that one of the patterns you picked up when we went on our Sturbridge adventure, or another one? (It looks similar, I think, but this IS me :)