Sunday, May 27, 2007

The good and the bad

After a conversation with a couple of friends tonight, I discovered they had blogs and I always love to find new reading material! But it reminded me that I have been remiss. Sometimes I think my life is really just not interesting to other people. Then I remember the only people that read this blog are my friends who are far away and my mundane day to day is interesting to them. So I thought I'd give an update. Things are kind of busy at school this week. I have a couple of out of town visitors/collaborators to keep track of. Which is good, because I might make progress on two more papers talking face to face instead of over email, but is bad because it's chaotic to have them both here at the same time. I'm training a new grad student on the lidar. Which is good and bad, once he knows everything it will take some pressure off of me, but it means that I'll have less field work to do myself and I like the field work. I got my last two rejection letters this week, which is good and bad, it means we aren't moving far away, but it means that I'm not moving forward in my career either. There's a lot I can expound on that subject, but I think there are some things better kept personal and not in the public sphere of the internet. I've been thinking alot about moving this blog to an anonymous title and therefore being a little more free to blog with less self censorship. I will email those of you who read this blog when I do. (A link would kind of defeat the purpose).

I've been reading a new blog lately, that I find inspiring and it makes me laugh out loud in that way that things really aren't funny because they are too real, but still just make you laugh. It's pretty specific to me but someone might find it interesting.

Lest we forget I'm a knitter:

I don't want to leave you hanging. I finished my modified convertible. I LOVE IT! I've worn it in public twice already and I'm very happy with it. Not too happy with Hub's photography though so you'll have to wait a) to see it live or b) for me to try the self timer on my new camera.

I've started two new projects in addition to the 5 ongoing pairs of socks (current count is 3 of 10 socks complete-still no matching pair!) The first is a gift, so you can only see a closeup of the stich pattern and yarn:
I'm making it out of Lang Venezia Colors that I got at the Webs tent sale last weekend. They still have some available. It's a mohair/acrylic blend and usually I'm pretty anti-acrylic, but this I like, it's working up well and the color blending is goregous. I'm working it on size 8s so it's a pretty airy stitch and thus far I'm pretty happy.


Project number 2: Knitter's may or may not recognize. It's the start of a Prairie Tunic from the Spring 2006 Interweave. Well, a modified one at least. My continential style of knitting has produced a different lace then intended, but I've decided to go with it since it's less holey and see-thruish then the original pattern. We'll see how it goes. The yarn is the Jaeger Siena the pattern calls for, but a different color. It's the last of my purchases from last year's tent sale!

Oh and I'm trying out a new template. What do you think?

No comments: